"Be happy whenever you can manage it.
Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think."
~ John Cage
John Cage's Rules For Students and Teachers:
- 1. Find a place you trust, and then try trusting it for awhile.
- 2. General duties of a student--pull everything out of your teacher;
pull everything out of your fellow students.
- 3. General duties of a teacher--pull everything out of your students.
- 4. Consider everything an experiment.
- 5. Be self-disciplined--this means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.
- 6. Nothing is a mistake. There's no win and no fail, there's only make.
- 7. The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It's the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.
- 8. Don't try to create and analyze at the same time. They're different processes.
- 9. Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.
- 10. Break rules. Even your own rules. Leave plenty of room for X quantities.
To Celebrate 1,000 Likes on Facebook, I'm Having a
Christmas In July Giveaway!
Six Original Alcohol Ink Paintings Are Up For Grabs!
Get Updates About the Online Alcohol Ink Workshop with Me this September!
Learn • Love • Create